Sunday, 1 April 2012

Dine Under $40: The Victoria Room, Darlinghurst

Elegantly furnished with glamorous hostesses to match, this establishment really defines the word 'classy'.  Consider this a stark contrast to its location (in the neck of Kings Cross) which seems to have a propensity to churn out screaming drunks at every corner on a Friday night. 

The venue is tucked away on the second floor and once you climb up the stairs you are greeted with a tastefully decorated room, dimly lit but not so dark that you are stumbling everywhere.  A group of 6 of us were ushered in by a hostess then approached by a friendly waitress who was our waitress for the night.

I have to say, and even the waitress said this, the dishes are very small.  It is basically like tapas except not Spanish.  To have tapas sized dishes for around $15 - $20 each is frankly, a rip-off.

My friends decided to order the mezze plate first up ($26) with pide and 6 different dips.  The chill crab, hommous and eggplant dips got the thumbs up.  Whilst there was plenty of pide to go around, there was so much dip left over that everyone resorted to eating the dip by itself. 

A few of my friends were sick though so I wasn't in the mood for sharing.  Instead I got a barramundi fillet with vine tomatoes and capers ($33).  

Best decision ever.

I have never had fish this good in my life.  I have to say though, when I first saw it, I wasn't impressed mainly due to its small size.  However as soon as I dug in, I was hooked.  Every part of the dish was outstanding.  The tomatoes (granted there were only 4 tiny tomatoes) were cooked so beautifully as were the fried capers.  The fish had crispy skin yet remained tender.  And it was just all so beautifully seasoned.  It was really a joy to eat.  

And even though it seemed small, the richness of it all was enough to satiate me.

My friends also tried the duck confit ($30 - also on the small side and 'not the best I've had' according to a friend), morrocan meatballs ($18 - quite spicy), fried goats cheese balls ($16 - tastes 'goaty') and fried haloumi salad ($21).  Two ordered pear ciders ($10 each) but it wasn't really to their liking (as a side note: Rekordilig seems to be the new favourite). 

Afterwards, we popped over to froyo joint Wowcow across the road for some creamy goodness.  Love their upside down cow on the roof.

In sum, we paid approximately $30 - $40 each.  If I were to go again, I would dress up because this is really the kind of place you would dress up at and not feel conspicuous.  Great venue to have a flapper themed party.

Their bar menu is slightly less exxy and has different offerings but the bar area gets a bit too full in my opinion.

The Victoria Room definitely shouldn't be viewed as just that 'high tea place' when it's got so much to offer the nightlife as well.


Value rating:

Serving size: 8/10

Taste: 9/10

Price: 7/10

Final rating: Ice-T



The Victoria Room on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment